Search This Blog

22/11/2013

Good People

Hi there!
Since paying attention to lyrics can be a fun and interesting way to learn vocabulary and pronunciation, here's a new section in the blog: you know there are webpages where people write their comments about the meanings of songs. Well, I'll try to post a song every weekend here for you to make short comments and we'll see what happens...
You just have to listen to the song (which comes with the lyrics) and write about the meaning of the song in the comment section below. Try to be careful with the grammar, but don't be intimidated by the possibility of making mistakes. I won't correct anybody unless you tell me to do so. 

5 comments:

Unknown said...

This song expresses how the singer is angry with people like Politicians or the politic system like now in Spain but in Spain we do things different like this:
This morning I was listened to the radio when suddenly the notice was that there was a long queue to buy lottery in Doña Manolita which cross with other long queue where Belen Esteban was signing her first book. Oh my God! A lottery which we will never win and Belen who never wrote a letter. Where we are living? Oh yes...Spain, the big lie.

Rachel said...

I believe the singer feels admiration for normal people that continues with their lifes in despite of the current situation of crisis. But I'm not sure if I've understood the meaning of the song. But, anyway, I like it, its refrain is very catchy.

Cristina I. Sánchez Soto said...

Thanks both Jesús and Rachel! Songs can have as many meanings as listeners there are, so there's not one single meaning ;-)

I agree that the song can be connected with our current situation, even though it was written years ago and Jack Johnson was obviously not thinking about Spain. But I wonder - as he does - where the good people are gone, since the ones we see on TV (politicians, biased journalists, wannabe celebrities, heartless bankers and business people, etc.) just make us angry and hopeless for a better future.
Well, fortunately, there ARE good people among my students! ;-)

basi said...

Well Cristina, I´m lucky there are also good people, as yourself, among my teachers. Thank you for the interest in making us progress. Even though I´m no longer your student, I still glance at your blog from time to time.

Cristina I. Sánchez Soto said...

Thanks very much, Basi! It's great to hear you still check the blog. Please, feel free to comment any time you want ;-)